Oak Summit School

Oak Summitt School

Photo Courtesy of Jack Ogburn

November, 2006

A committe has been formed to renovate this old one-room school located in the Oak Summit community of Forsyth County, NC. All donations are tax deductible. The commitee is seeking funds, pictures, old desks, memorabilia and YOUR interest. Checks should be made out to:

Oak Summit United Methodist Church, Restoration Fund

and mailed to:

732 Oak Summit Road
Winston Salem, North Carolina 27105

Members of the Oak Summit School Restoration Commitee are:

Clarice Gentry, Chairperson
Carol (Hall) Portis, Secretary
Lena (Mickey) Smith, Treasurer

Jim & Carol Thompson
Lionel & Mona Branscomb

Rev. Jack Danley
Rev. Jaim Pyatt
Dr. Ron L. Hall


Like most schools of yesterday Oak Summit was used for teaching the three "Rs" during the week and for study and preaching of the Word of God on Sunday. According to the recollections of many people who attended the Old school in the early 1900's (the land was bought from the Moravians on September 3 1888 for twenty-five dollars). The first Methodist to preach in the school was the Reverend J. H. Robertson, pastor of the Forsyth circuit. On the other Sundays the several Christian preachers brought messages to the people gathered in the old Oak Summit School. The aforesaid Mr. Robertson organized a Sunday school which later became the church.

The annual conference of the western North Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, in 1906 received a young man by the name of Joseph Spurgeon Haitt on trial and appointed him to the Forsyth circuit. It was during that year that he found a group of people interested in the Methodist way of life and thus proceeded to organize Oak Summit Methodist Episcopal Church South in the one room school building. Here begins our known history of the Oak Summit Church.

History of Oak Summitt Methodist Church
Jarvis Family Homepage