Revolutionary War Pension Records
Surry and Stokes Counties, NC

SAMUEL, Larkin

Affidavit of Larkin Samuel in John Quillin pension file – 16 Sept. 1833 – Stokes Co., NC -- Larkin Samuel served with John Quillin as private soldiers in the Revolution about fifteen days as a guard for the General Assembly at Salem in Surry County when Governor Alex Martin attended the assembly. When the assembly adjourned they were discharged and returned to their homes.

SAVAGE, Levin. S3849

Declaration of Levin Savage – Jackson Co., TN, 13 May 1833 – age 83

Levin enlisted from Surry Co., NC, his residence, in July 1776. He was on an expedition versus the Overhill Cherokee Indians and their chief, the Dragging Canoe. Levin joined his company under Capt. Poindexter at Old Richmond in Surry County. He remained in the company at old Richmond three or four weeks. He then marched to Long islands in Holstein river where he joined the army under General Christie and was attached to Colonel Williams regiment and Captain Mosby took command of his company. They then marched across the Holstein River to Blue Springs, then marched to French Broad river. Just before the army arrived at French Broad, a white man bearing a white flag from the Indians met them. It was rumored among the soldiers that the Indians offered peace if the army proceeded no further but if they went any further the Indians would kill them to a man. The General said he would give them a brush at any rate. Orders were then made by the General for 600 horsemen and 600 foot to turn out, each horseman to take a foot man behind him. Levin was one who volunteered his services. He obtained a horse and took a man behind him. This party of 1200 mounted men were ordered to cross the river and keep the Indians in check until the balance of the troops should come up. Savage and the party crossed the river at a place shown them by the interpreter. They lay in ambush that night in profound silence, and at the dawn of day they went to the Indian fires. But the Indians had fled, having made a picture on a tree which the interpreter said meant they run home and their hair flew back. The main army came up immediately afterwards and applicant and the rest of the party gave up their horses to their owners. They then marched to the Cherokee nation and burnt Dragging Canoe’s town Chilhowee and Chola. The Indians then came and sued for peace and gave up the Old Widow Bean whom they had taken prisoner. The chiefs or head men who came to the army were Little Carpenter, Piegeon, and Conestoga. He doesn’t think Dragging Canoe came with them. No prisoners were taken. Savage then returned home with the army where he was verbally discharged by Captain Mosby in December 1776, having served his full term of six months.

Savage again entered the service in Surry County in March 1778 as a volunteer for three months under Captain Spear and Lieutenant * to guard Tory prisoners at Salisbury where he remained until June 1778.

In July 1780 he volunteered in the service in Surry County, where he then resided, to reinforce Gates troops. He does not recall his officers but Capt. Hughlet [Hewlett] was with the troops and Col. Armstrong commanded the troops, which was less than a regiment. They marched to Salisbury. When news of Gates defeat reached them, in August 1780, he was verbally discharged after one month service.

Levin Savage was born in Accomac County, VA, in 1750. He was illiterate. Since the Revolution he lived in Overton Co., TN; Cumberland Co., KY; and now Jackson Co., TN.

Persons in his neighborhood who could testify to his veracity and their belief in his service were: John Hudspeth, Thoms P. Scott, James Stone, John Tade, David Biggerstaff, Jesse Brown, and John F. Vass.

SCOTT, Arthur S1873
enlisted from Cumberland Co., VA, later moved to Surry Co., NC – White, p. 3043.

SCOTT, Arthur (Capt.)
William Southern pension declaration states that he was drafted in Surry County and marched from Richmond in a company commanded by Capt. Arthur Scott. They marched to Guilford and were there at the Battle of Guilford in March 1781. Southern was guard of the baggage and military stores.

SCOTT, Daniel S42003
enlisted from Powhatan Co., VA, application 1819 Surry Co., NC

SCOTT, Daniel

Daniel Scott enlisted the same day as Christopher Eaton in November 1777 or 1778, at Surry old Courthouse or Richmond, NC. Scott died the next day. See Eaton file.

SHEPHERD, James (Capt.)

Christopher Kerby file states that a volunteer company of horse or dragoon commanded by Capt. James Shepherd went from Surry Courthouse and joined two other companies under Maj. Joseph Winston, which then joined Col. Benjamin Cleaveland’s regiment and marched to the Cowpens and then to Kings Mountain, where they defeated the British. See also files of Joseph Edwards, who served under Capt. Shepherd for tours in 1776, 1777, and 1778, and John Venables, who served under Capt. Shepherd ranging Surry County to keep the Tories “under subjection” in 1780 before the battle of Kings Mountain.

SHIPP, Thomas (Capt.)

See detailed affidavit in John Martin file. John Martin married Nancy Shipp, sister of Thomas.

SMITH, Henry (Capt.) – BL Wt S32525
(b. 1741 Lancaster Co., Pa. – d. 1835)

[Capt Henry Smith is buried in Saint John's Lutheran Church Cemetery in Concord, North Carolina. This information provided by Capt. Smith's g-g-g-g-grandson, Tom Fagart. Tom's email address is:]

Declaration of Henry Smith (91) – Cabarrus Co, NC – Oct. 21, 1833 -- Henry Smith on March 1, 1776, raised a company in Stokes Co., NC (then Surry), and was appointed captain. He received his commission from the “Council of Safety” then in Hillsboro, NC. I marched my men from Surry Co., with Col. Armstrong, Col. Williams, and Major Winston to “Cross Creek,” now Fayetteville, NC. The Tories having been defeated by Col. Caswell, we were dismissed at Cross Creek and returned home about April 1, 1776.

About the first of August 1776, in Surry Co. (now Stokes), I received orders from Col. Armstrong to gather my company again, which I did immediately. We marched under Col. Armstrong to Cubs Creek in Surry, where orders were received for 300 men to be marched against the Cherokee Indians. I was unanimously elected by the men to be one of the captains in the expeditions. Captains Mosby, Dobson, and I with 100 men each were marched under Col. Williams through the mountains to the long islands of Holson River. We were placed under Gen. Christie. We went to Indian Town then to the Beloved Town where the officers and Indians concluded a treaty. We were dismised and marched back home. I served in this expedition 104 days (3 months and 14 days.

About November 1, 1776, under Col. Armstrong’s orders and commission as captain, I drafted a full company in Surry County. I marched at the head of my company from Richmond Town in Surry to Charlotte, NC, where we were joined by Col. Brevard at the head of the drafts from Rowan and Mecklenberg, our officers having gone on and directed me to bring on the late drafts. We marched together to Parisburgh on the Savannah River, where I met with Gen. Rutherford’s Brigade. I was there placed under my proper officers again – Gen. Rutherford, Col. Francies Locke. At Parisburgh we were detached and placed under the command of Col. Lytle and Major Nelson of the Continental Army under Gen. Lincoln. We were then called and acted as “light infantry.” I was placed in service as captain at the head of a company under these officers. I marched under them up the river opposite Augusta, crossed the River then and went down the Georgia side to Briar Creek, where we had an engagement and were defeated in March 1777. I marched from Briar Creek to the Black Swamp in South Carolina where we were discharged on April 10, 1777. I served in this expedition five months as captain. In swimming across the river, after the Battle of Briar, I lost my commission and other papers. We were discharged by Gen. Rutherford, Col. Lytle having given up the “Light Infantry” after crossing the river.

On January 5 or 6, 1781, I was placed as captain at head of a company of volunteers, having received my commission from Gov. Ca___. We marched to meet Col. Morgan at Cowpens on January 16, 1781. The next morning (the 17th) we were in the battle of the Cowpens. We returned with the prisoners then taken to Salisbury, NC, where we were discharged. I served in this tour ten days.

Two weeks after the Battle of the Cowpens, I received a commission as Major in Col. Armstrong’s regiment in the North Carolina line from Gov. Caswell. I acted in that capacity during the war. I was frequently ordered to march against the Tories, which I did at the Shallow Ford on the Yadkin we had an engagement in October 1781 against the Tories, under Col. Wright, who was there killed, and six men. I was continually on the march, scouting the county against the Tories. I was not out of actual service in 5 years, 3 months in all. I served the whole time as a captain (from March 1776 to Jan. 1781) or major (from Jan. 1776 to end of the war).

A party of ?British when Cornwallis lay at Houser Town in Surry on his way to Guilford, robbed my house of all of its property and papers.

I was born in Lancaster Co., PA, on Dec. 25, 1741. I was about 30 when I moved to Surry Co., NC. I now live in Cabarrus County and have upwards of forty years.

Archives letter states Henry Smith died Aug. 28, 1835, in Cabarrus Co., NC. Three children survived: Col. Jacob Smith of Gilman Co., GA; George Smith; and Freeby / Phoebe Barnhart.

Comptroller of Public Accounts, NC, 1830 – pay records for Henry Smith
Book F, No. 2, p. 20, 46, 76.
Also cash payment in 1779 in Book E, page not given.

Affidavit of Frederick Pinkley (78)– Stokes Co., NC – Aug. 9, 1833
Pinkley served in Capt. Smith’s company of militia in Surry County for three tours of duty. He served in a three month expedition against the Scotch Tory Insurrection about Fayetteville, NC, in 1776. In Fall of 1776 to the Cherokee Nation against the Indians. Third was a five-month tour to the Battle of Briar Creek on Savannah River.

Affidavit of Jacob Hilsepeck, Sen. – Stokes Co., NC – Oct. 17, 1832 – served a tour of duty for five months under Capt. Henry Smith. Marched from Surry County to Savannah River, South Carolina, at the time the Battle of Briar Creek took place. Deponent also has reason to believe that Henry Smith led a company of militia against the Cherokee nation in 1776.

Affidavit of Caspar Stults (pensioner) (an aged blind man) – Stokes Co., NC – Oct. 12, 1833 -- Served under Capt. Henry Smith as a private militia soldier in expedition against the Scotch Tories and marched from Surry County to Fayetteville, NC, in 1776. Also a tour to the Cherokee Nation of Indians in the fall of 1776.

Affidavit of Ephraim Banner – Stokes Co., NC – Oct. 15, 1833 – Ephraim served in same regiment with Capt. Smith when Smith commanded a company to the long islands of Holston and to the Cherokee Nation of Indians in 1776.

Affidavit of Cpt. John Ward (an aged old respectable citizen of the “first varacity”) – Stokes Co., NC – Oct. 15, 1833 – Ward served a tour under Capt. Henry Smith in 1778 or 1779 in an expedition from Surry Co., NC, to Savannah River.

Affidavit of Joseph Banner (83) – Stokes Co. – Oct. 17, 1833 – He lived within five miles of Capt. Henry Smith for a number of years in then Surry Co., NC – Smith served as a militia captain in the same regiment in which Joseph Banner served under the command of Col. Jo. Williams. Smith led a company of militia from Surry Co., NC, to the long islands of Holston River and then to the Cherokee Nation, a distance of 350 miles, mostly through a wilderness.

Affidavit of Benjamin Jones (pensioner) – Stokes Co., NC – Oct. 7, 1833 – Deponent served a tour of five months as a private militia soldier in the same regiment with Smith from Surry County to Savannah river and the battle against the British at Briar Creek.

Affidavit of Lewis Wolff (pensioner) – Stokes Co., NC – Oct. 26, 1833 – Wolff marched as a musician fifer under the ccommand of Capt. Henry Smith in spring of 1776 from Surry Co. to Fayetteville, NC, in pursuit of the Scotch Tories. Wolff also started on the expedition against the Cherokee Indians with Smith’s company but then hired a man as a substitute to serve in his place.

Capt. Henry Smith company is mentioned in files of ** Adam and Frederick Binkley, Adam Fiscus, Casper Stultz,

SMITH, Minor (Capt.)

Capt. Minor Smith led one of three companies serving under Maj. Joseph Winston in Kings Mountain campaign. Christopher Kerby file.

Gen. Green ordered Capt. Minor Smith to raise a company of volunteers as rangers, probably in 1781. Smith and Lt. James Blackwell headed the company, which scouted the country protecting citizens from depradations by the Tories. Robert Head. See also file of John Venables which contains a discharge signed by Capt. Minor Smith.


[Should check this file to determine if relationship to William Southern of Surry Co., NC]

SOUTHERN, William S7575 NC

Declaration of William Southern, Sr. – 30 July 1833 – Stokes Co., NC -- The declaration was taken at Southern's residence in Stokes County. Southern, aged about 75 or 76 years. Southern, being badly ruptured, is unable to travel to Germanton, it being upwards of twenty miles from his residence. From old age and consequent loss of memory, he cannot precisely describe his dates of service. He first served as a private volunteer militia soldier of infantry under Capt. William Meredith in Surry County, Lt. Hill, and Ensign Hickman, for three months. They marched from Surry Courthouse to Salisbury and there joined headquarters under the command of Gen. Rutherford. From there they marched to a place called Rugeleys Mills near Camden, SC, and remained there for a week or ten days. There was a call for reinforcement to join Gen. Sumpter's Brigade to scour the country and rout a party of British and Tories around about the Cataba Tribe of Indians on the Cataba River. Southern and seven others of Capt. Meredith's company under Ensign Thomas Hickman marched and joined Gen. Sumpter on the Cataba River near the nation of Indians. During this rout, the notorious battle of Gen. Gates' defeat happened, and our army was compelled to flee from the enemy. Our army were "irregularly disperced" and retreated homewards. This happened about August 1780. He was acquainted with Capt. Joel Lewis and Lt. Robert Hill, who was accidentally wounded by the fall of a tree near Cabarrus, NC. He served three months in this tour and was discharged in Salem, NC, by Capt. Meredith in September 1780.

Southern was drafted in Surry County and marched from Richmond in that county to Haw River and then to the watercourse called Allemance in Guilgord County. There they joined the army commanded by Gen. Green and marched from there towards Guilgord Courthouse. In the notorious Battle of Guilford in March 1781, Southern served as one of the guard of the baggage and military stores. After serving nine weeks he was discharged by his captain Arthur Scott. Southern returned home very sick.

Southern was drafted as a private militia solder under Capt. David Humphries at old Richmond in Surry County not long after the Battle of Guilford. They marched to Guilford and joined Col. James Martin's regiment and then marched toward Wilmington, crossing Deep River and through several counties to a place called the Raft Swamp and to a brick house near Wilmington. Gen. Rutherford was commander-in-chief during this tour. Sometime in November 1781 we were ordered to form in a line and our officers came riding along the lines making proclamation aloud that the enemy had surrendered, Cornwallis was taken with his whole army by Washington; whereupon our officers ordered a salute to the glorious news by firing several rounds. This service lasted three months and can be proven by John Maib, Sr., Edwin Hickman, and John Quillin if living in Stokes County as he believes.

William Southern stated he was born in Buckingham Co., VA, in 1758 or 1759. He lived in Surry County each time he entered service and he has resided in the same neighborhood ever since the Revolution. (From the division of Stokes, his residence was now Stokes County.) William signed by a mark.

Affidavit of James Martin, Sr., and James Davis, Sr. – 2 Oct. 1833 – Stokes Co., NC – Both state that William Southern is of good character and reputed in his neighborhood to be a Revolutionary War soldier. James Martin, Sen., signed after his name "formerly Colonel of Guilford Militia"

Affidavit of William Merritt – 10 Sept. 1833 – Stokes County, NC – William Merritt, a pensioner of the United States, stated that some time in the spring or summer of 1780 William Southern and William Merritt marched in the same company from Surry County. Merritt served under Lt. Robert Hill and Southern under Capt. Meredith. They met at Salisbury and joined headquarters under Gen. Rutherford. They marched from there through Charlotte, crossing Rocky River to a place near Col. Beninger's [?] at some Mills, the name he had forgotten. Near that place Lt. Hill was wounded by the fall of a tree and Merritt was ordered to nurse his lieutenant. That was the last time on that tour that he saw Southern.

Affidavit of John Maib, Sr. – 10 Sept. 1833 – Stokes Co., NC – Maib was acquainted with William Southern for at least sixty years. He served one tour of service in the militia with Southern, both as privates and messmates, three months under Capt. David Humphries. They marched from Richmond or Surry old Courthouse to or near Wilmington, a distance of upwards of 200 miles. This was about the close of the Revolutionary War when the news came to Gen. Rutherford, our commander in chief, that Lord Cornwallis had surrendered to Washington. James Martin was our Colonel. At the time of the affidavit, Southern was Maib's neighbor and scarcely able to travel owing to a large rupture in his belly.

Affidavit of Robert Hill – 18 Sept. 1833 – Stokes Co., NC – William Southern served in Capt. Merideth's company in which Hill acted as lieutenant on an expedition from Surry County toward the south about the time of Gates Defeat. Deponent Hill was wounded by the fall of a tree and was conveyed home by William Merritt and others.

Affidavit of John Maib, Sr., and William Southern in John Quillin pension file – 16 Sept. 1833 – They guarded prisoners taken at Kings Mountain from the Yadkin River to the old Moravian Town and then to Guilford Courthouse.

SPAINHOUR, Henry -- Capt. Henry Smith Co., mentioned in Adam Fiscus file

SPAINHOUR, Michael W 6149
wife Elizabeth / Eliza

Declaration of Elizabeth Spainhour (age 77 this month) – Stokes Co., NC, Mar. 2, 1838 – Widow of Michael Spainhour, deceased, who was a private soldier in the militia in the Rev. Michael entered service under Capt. Henry Smith in Col. Joseph Williams Regiment of militia in Surry Co., NC, in July or Aug. 1776 and marched up the Yadkin River to a place called the Mulberry fields and then marched back to Surry County and rendezvoused at a place called Myers old fields near Surry old courthouse some time, then after being organized marched westwardly to the Cherokee Nation of Indians where they burned their towns and remained in the nation sometime. He then marched home to Surry County; he served upwards of four months in this expedition. Michael’s next service he went on horseback commanded by Capt. Meredith ranging after Tories and joined the company at old Richmond, then Surry Courthouse and was gone three weeks and returned. He was to be in residence as a minute man to march at a moment’s warning. Several times he was called on with the company and routed the Tories in different sections of the county in the latter part of 1777 and in 1778 not long before she married Michael. He told her he had served three months and upwards “in the Several Scouts ranging after Tories.” In one of the “routs” he was in a skirmish with a party of Tories at Surry court house. “When the Tories advanced when there when they were scattered about in Town & had to run from the Tories, Col. Williams was commander and ordered the minute men to run when one Capt. John Crouse was wounded.” Michael’s next service was as a drafted private after she was married in May or June 1780. He marched from Richmond in Surry County under Capt. Meredith to Salisbury in Rowan County, NC, remained there some length of time then to Charlotte and then into South Carolina. Michael was in the Battle of Gates defeat and shortly after he was discharged. He next served as a volunteer in guarding the magazine or powder wagons from Salem to some place in Virginia. He was gone 24 days.

Elizabeth married Michael Spainhour on August 4, 1778, in Bethania, then in Surry Co., NC, by Michael Houser, Sr., J.P. Michael Spainhour died in March 1827.

Elizabeth was too infirm to travel to the Court.
Signed by mark [x]

Affidavit of Joseph Houser and Magdalena Houser, widow of George Houser – Stokes Co., NC, Mar. 2, 1838 – Both residents of Stokes County. They were well acquainted with Michael Spainhour and Elizabeth Spainhour, who was Eliza Teague. They were present when Michael Houser, J.P., married the couple at Bethania Town. They recollect that Michael Spainhour was in service under Capt. Meredith and believe he served as a minute man with George Houser ranging after Tories at different periods and also a tour of three months to South Carolina and was at Battle of Gates Defeat. Joseph Houser further states that Spainhour went with him on one of the guards of the magazine from Salem NC to Henry Co., VA, three weeks at least in January 1781. Spainhour died ten or eleven years past not far from Bethania. Prior to the marriage of Michael and Elizabeth, he served four months at least under Capt. Henry Smith to the Cherokee nation in the expedition of 1776 with George Hauser, Magdalena’s husband.

Affidavit of Joseph Banner (a pensioner) – Stokes Co., NC, 5 Mar. 1838 – He and Spainhour served a tour of four months together under Capt. Henry Smith in Col. Joseph Williams Regiment of Militia on an expedition to the Cherokee Nation in 1776. Afterwards he saw Spainhour in service in Capt Meredith’s Company as a minute man at Surry Court House and also later at Salisbury on his way home from the Battle of Gates Defeat. “He said he had been in said battle.”

Affidavit of George Kregar (pensioner) – Stokes Co., NC, 30 Aug. 1838 – He was well acquainted with Michael Spainhour as neighbors during the whole of the Revolutionary War. He served in the same company and was mess mate with Michael nearly two tours of duty in the militia. There was a call and General Muster at old Richmond, Surry Old Court House, in 1778 by Col. Martin Armstrong under Capt. Jo Philips. Spainhour, Krigar, and William Apperson with about 100 men were enrolled as minute men to range after the Tories. A detachment was marched to the lead mines on New River and brought lead for Gen. Rutherford’s Army and deposited it as said courthouse, then marched back to New River to a Capt. Nalls to route the Tories. Then through the mountains to Reddy’s River, then down to the Mulberry Fields, then to the Brushy Mountains and to the Cataba River, where an express met us that a battle had been fought at Ransoms Mills, then marched back to old Richmand and encamped there a few days. Col. Wm. Shepperd commanded in the Route, then marched to Salisbury and Anson County, NC, to Rocky River, and at a place called Golsons old fields we had a battle with some Tories and we took ten prisoners, when Col. Davidson was wounded, then Col. Lock took command, where Michael Spainhour, having served over three months, volunteered himself and joined Gen. Rutherford’s Army and left our company.

Spainhour was marched toward the South through Charlotte and to Camden, SC, and was in the Battle of Gates Defeat, where he lost a nice rifle gun of his own property in the battle. Some three weeks after the battle, returned home after serving more than six months. He remained on and off at intervals with him as minute men at least four months when they parted at Golson old fields and Spainhour joined Rutherford’s army.

Signed with mark [x]

Declaration of Elizabeth Spainhour – Stokes Co., NC, 30 Aug. 1738 – She found a paper purporting to be Michael’s discharge for one month’s service dated at Henry Courthouse, 20 Feb. 1781, and signed by William Reynolds, Military Stores. Also enclosed certificate of Michael taking oath of allegiance.

A book of family records shows that Michael Spainhour was born Feb 2, 1753, in Pennsylvania, and removed with his parents to NC when he was ten years old, and died in Stokes Co., 13 Mar. 1827.

Elizabeth Teague was born 10 Mar. 1761 and married Michael 4 Aug. 1778.
Elizabeth Spainhour, their oldest child, was born 18 Mar. 1780 – living
Henry, their 2nd child, was born 10 May 1783 – dead
Michael, the 3rd child, was born 20 July 1786 – living.

Affidavit of Christopher Eaton – Stokes Co., NC, Feb. 19, 1839 – He was well acquainted with Michael Spainhour in time of Rev. and lived not far apart in Surry County, NC. Eaton served a tour with Michael in a campaign in spring and summer of 1780 under Gen. Rutherford and Gen. Gates and was in Gates Defeat near Camden, SC, when Eaton was taken prisoner but made his escape after the battle. Spainhour joined Gen. Rutherford’s army at headquarters near Salisbury, NC, under Capt. Wm. Bostick in the same company as Eaton. Spainhour related he had a few days before he joined our company been in a battle some place near Rocky River called Coltsons or Cobs old fields and killed and taken a parcel of Tories and British and remained at Salisbury headquarters several weeks, then marched through Mecklenburg County on to the Cheraw Hill in SC and then to Santee River and then to a place called Rusleys Mills, where headquarters was held about three weeks or longer under Gen. Gates when a detachment was sent by Gen. Gates to aid Gen. Sumpter near Cataba River when our Capt Bostick and Co. Michael Spainhour and the rest of our company was along but before we reached Sumpters Army we received news that Sumpter had defeated the Tories. We returned to headquarter and in a few days were engaged in the Battle of Gates defeat when Eaton was taken prisoner by the British and never saw Spainhour any more until he returned home. This deponent deserted from the British the next night after the battle and aimed for hom and met with Gen. Green’s Army near Salisbury but he and his fellow prisoners were permitted to go home, having been in service nearly a month over their three-month term. Michael Spainhour told Eaton that he had escaped narrowly in the battle and had to leave his gun, a good rifle, and run for his life.

Affidavit of William Merritt (pensioner) – Stokes Co, NC, Feb 19, 1839 – He was a militia soldier and served with Christopher Eaton and Michael Spainhour and well acquainted with them during Revolution and since. He was in the regiment with them at Salisbury headquarters in May 1780 and marched with them as far as the Cheraw Hills. Near this place Merritt’s Capt Hill received a severe wound from the fall of a tree. Merritt was ordered to nurse and return home with this captain and three other soldiers. Thus he was separated from Spainhour and Eaton some time previous to the Battle of Gates Defeat.

Bible records: Michael Spainhour’s handwritten records of birth of three children in German

. Oath of allegiance, Michael Spenhower, before Michel Musser ?, J.P., Surry Co., NC, July 11, 1778.

Discharge of Michael Spainhour, militia soldier, one month service, at Henry Courthouse, 20 Feb. 1781, by William Reynolds, C. Military Stores.

Declaration of Elizabeth Spainhour (age 80) – Stokes Co., NC, Aug. 10, 1843 -- Widow of Michael Spainhour Also of Nov. 1, 1839 – her state pension certificate was destroyed by fire when Charles Banner’s house burned.

SPEARS, ____ (Capt.)

Robert Head served a three-month tour in the volunteer infantry from Surry County under Captain Spears. They joined General Rutherford and were at the baggage wagons at the Battle of Gates Defeat. Robert Head file.

STANLEY, Christopher #S7609 12 Sept 1832, Stokes County, NC.

Extracted by Judy Cardwell. Judy's email address:

Birth: 7 Mar 1758 Maryland??
Death: Sep 1837 Stokes Co.,NC
Misc. Notes
28 Sept 1778 - Surry Co.,NC, Christopher Stanley enters 200 acres of land in Surry Co.,NC on both sides of Townfork above JOHN BOLES including the above place for quantity. Warrant granted.

30 May 1781 - Surry Co.,NC, Christopher Stanley enters 150 acres on the Briery Branch above my former entry on the said branch including the vacant land. Warrant granted to C. M.

Christopher Stanley #3354 enlisted at Fredrickstown, MD shortly after the war started (he could not remember the exact date) under Captain Peter Mantz in the flying camp at Fredrickstown in Frederick County, Maryland for six months and marched under Cap. Mantz to New York where he joined General George Washington. He continued under the same Captain and that shortly after he arrived at New York [15 Sept 1776], a battle was fought in which he was engaged.The city of New York was taken by the British. From New York the he marched to White Plains [28 Oct 1776] and was in the battle fought there and from there was marched to New Jersey where his term expired. He was discharged in writing, but he lost or misplaced his discharge papers and knows of no person now living by whom he can prove his service.

He then enlisted again for two years and six months with Captain Balston from Frederick County, Maryland who was under Colonel Nicolas Haussegger and Lt. Col. Lewis Weltner. From there he was marched to or near Philadelphia where he remained for a short term and from there was marched to Trenton. Shortly after he arrived a battle was fought there, at Trenton [26 Dec 1776], Col. Haussegger [defected to the enemy] left them and Lewis Weltner was then appointed Colonel Commander of the Battallion to which he belonged during the whole of his term of two years and six months. They were called the German Battalion. From Trenton he was marched towards the Head of the Elk where the British had landed sometime after this. The American army met the British near Brandywine [11 Sept 1777] where a battle ensued in which he was slightly wounded. From there he was marched to the White Marsh hills where he remained a few days, and was from there marched to Germantown, PA [4 Oct 1777] where he arrived about the commencement of the battle there and was engaged in that battle. About that time, Capt. Balston resigned and was succeeded by Boyer who was before a Lieutenant for there the Regiment. He was marched to Wyoming, PA [3 Jul 1778] for the purpose of opposing some Indians, who were then engaged in acts of open hostility against the American people and he remained there and thereabouts for about a month when his term of service expired. He was discharged in writing and that the discharge has been for many years lost. He states that during the last mentioned term of service of two years and ten months he acted as Sergeant of the company to which he belonged for two years.

He further stated that there are many other circumstances and incidents connected with his service in the Revolutionary was but owing to the great laspe of time his recollection as to them has become so imperfect as to render a statement of them impractical. He relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annunity except the present and he decares that his name is not on the pension roll of any agency in any state. Sworn and subscribed in open court before M. Hill, Clerk of Court. Signed by Christopher Stanley.

Absalom Scales, John Butner and Joseph Martin make oath that they are acqainted with Christopher Stanley who has subscribed the foregoing declaration and that they believe him to be a man of veracity. This 2nd day of September 1832. Signed by Absalom Scales, John Butner and Joseph Martin. Christopher's son William Stanley, appointed L. Blanchard True of Washington,DC as attorney for his father on 4 April 1832.

Christopher received $180.00 on 4 Sept1832 and $60.00 on 4 Mar 1833 for a total of $240.00 or $120.00 per year.

STONE, Berry

Served as a substitute for James Davis, Sr., and served with the Surry County militia at the Battle of Cowpens for which Stone was paid $60. James Davis, Sr., file.

STOW, Abraham

Affidavit of Abraham Stow in John Martin file– 29 Aug. 1840 – Stokes Co., NC – Deposed at Lewis Wolff's residence, Abraham Stow of Surry County "a respectable wealthy citizen and a person of high standing for probity and truth." Stow declared that he was well acquainted with Col. John Martin and served a three-month tour with him as dragoon light horsemen under Capt. Robert Hill. They marched from Surry County to Guilford Courthouse and joined headquarters under the command of Col. James Martin. From there they marched to Wilmington where they received news of the surrender of Cornwallis. Stow was at the wedding when John Martin married Nancy Shipp, the sister of Capt. Thomas Shipp. Abraham Stow signed by mark A.

STROOP / STROUP, John (Ens.) – soldier, Capt. Henry Smith Co., died at Pierysburgh, SC, mentioned in Adam Fiscus file. Jacob Hilsabeck declaration states that John Strupe was ensign in Capt. Henry Smith's company during 1777, when the company marched to the Savannah River and then to Briar Creek, Georgia, arriving just after the battle there.

STROOP / STROUP, John – soldier, Capt. Henry Smith Co., died at Pierysburgh, SC, mentioned in Adam Fiscus file

STRUPE, Samuel

Affidavit of Samuel Strupe in file of Casper Stultz – Bethania, Stokes Co., NC, Sept. 7, 1832 – Samuel aged 75 July 19 last, has known Casper Stultz all his lifetime and lived in same neighborhood. Strupe served with Casper in the Cherokee expedition under Capt. Henry Smith in 1776 and in the guard marking the stateline in 1778. [signed by mark]. Declaration of Casper Stultz in same file states Samuel Strupe is his brother-in-law. Affidavit of Susanna Strupe in George Houser file – Stokes Co., NC, Feb. 28, 1838 – Widow of Samuel Strupe, witnessed the wedding of George Houser and Magdalena Shore in 1777 in Stokes County.

STULTS / STULTZ, Caspar (pensioner) W4819 [1810 Stokes co. census, p. 514, 574 (Bethabra Dist.)

Declaration of Casper Stults – Stokes Co., NC, 1 Sept. 1832 – Res. of Stokes, aged 79 on 11th Dec. next. Casper was born in Pennsylvania, he believes in Northampton County, on 11 Dec. 1753, according to the family Bible now in possession of his brother-in-law Samuel Stroup. As a boy he accompanied his parents who removed from Pennsylvania to Surry County (now Stokes).

In February 1775 Casper volunteered in the Surry militia for three months under Capt. Henry Smith in the command of Col. Martin Armstrong. He marched to Fayetteville, then called Cross Creek, where they were joined by several other militia companies who were under the command of Col. Alexander Martin, Col. Armstrong of the Surry milita not have gone into service in the expedition. The object of this march was to suppress the Tories or Scotch who had joined the enemy in that part of the state. After about two months, he and the rest of the troops were discharged.

In 1776 he again entered the militia service as a volunteer for a tour of six months under Capt. Henry Smith in Col. Joseph Williams regiment in the brigade under Gen. Christer ?. They marched into the Cherokee nation and destroyed the Chilhowe ? Town of the hostile Cherokees. The Indians having retired before our troops, the force was discharged after the destruction of the town.

In 1777 or 1778 he and about fifty others were pressed into service under Capt. Pleasant Henderson to go as a guard to the commissioners running the line between North Carolina and Kentucky or Virginia under Col. Joseph Williams and Richard Henderson.

In this expedition Stults operated a wagon conveying baggage and provisions for the commissioners and troops. The guard was necessary owing to the hostile character of the Indians. He went as far as Carters Valley in now Tennessee, where owing to the extreme roughness of the country he was unable to proceed further with the wagon. He was discharged then and returned home after about two months service.

Aff. of Frederick Binkly or Pinkly – same day – He was in the revolutionary service as a militia man and well recollects that Casper Stults was with him under Capt. Henry Smith in the expedition against the Tories at Cross Creek and against the Indians in the western part of North Carolina, now Tennessee. Ever since the Revolution he and Stults have continued to live in Stokes Co.

Aff. of John Butner and William A. Lash, residents of Stokes, that Casper Stults is believed to be a soldier of the Revolution.

Aff. of Samuel Strupe, Sen. – Bethania, Stokes Co., NC, Sept. 7, 1832 – Samuel Strupe, aged 75 July 19 last and infirm so that he is unable to attend at court. Samuel has known Casper Stultz all his lifetime and always resided in the same neighborhood. Casper has been notably blind for at least fifteen years and unable to do any labor for near twenty years.

Casper entered the state troops on the Scotch expedition under Capt. Henry Smith who served under Col. Alexander Martin in 1776 as a private and was called out for a three-month tour but believes they were all discharged after three months.

Casper entered service again as a private on the Cherokee expedition under Capt. Smith and Col. Jos Williams under Gen. Christy. He served at least six months. Samuel served with him on this expedition skirmishing many of their towns on the Tennessee River for six months from June to Christmas 1776.

Stultz again entered as a private under Capt. Pleasant Henderson under Col. Richard Henderson on a tour of upwards to two months stationed at Carters Valley and from there to mark the line between Virginia and Kentucky. Col. Joseph Williams commanded the North Carolina troops. This took place in 1778. Strupe served with this expedition also.

Stultz went on to South Carolina with flour for the army of regulars under Col. Bursky ? of the Maryland line, was pressed with a four-horse team, and retained in service about 1 ½ months at the time of Gates defeat in the South.

In January 1787 Casper Stultz stood at guard over the prisoners taken at the Cowpens and guarded at Bethabara in Stokes County and also guarded the prisoners taken at Kings Mountain, probably for near two months. Casper also guarded the U.S. magazine at Salem, NC, and conveyed the same to Henry Court House in Virginia, for at least two months in 1781.

Casper was called out at different times into service to suppress the Tories who were at times very troublesome. They were called out by Capt. Henry Smith who was captain for the South [end/and] of Stokes County, amounting something like a month.

Strupe believes Casper to be 79 years on Dec. 11, 1832.
[signed by mark]

Declaration of Casper Stultz – Stokes Co., NC, 20 Dec. 1832 – Casper lists the times and tours of his service again.

Declaration of Anna Margarethe Stultz – Stokes Co., NC, 5 Jan. 1839 – Widow of Casper Stults, dec., a pensioner of the U.S. She is responding to a War Department denial based on her husband’s failure to declare service after their marriage. She declares that, shortly after their marriage, Major Henry Smith ordered out a company of men to go after “a set of Tories” into the Douthal Settlements near the mouth of Muddy Creek where it empties into the Yadkin River. When Casper returned in about ten days, he told her the Tories had fled and crossed the river into the forks of the Yadkin into Rowan County.

She believes he also performed a small tour in January 1781 as one of the soldiers guarding the powder wagons from Salem to Virginia (Henry County). He was gone three weeks. She thinks others along on that “route” were one of the Banners, Joseph Houser, and her brother George Houser, deceased.

Aff. of Benjamin Banner, pensioner – 7 Jan. 1839, Stokes Co. – He drove a wagon loaded with ammunition and guns for the use of the U.S. army from Salem (then in Surry Co., NC) to Henry court house in Virginia. Casper Stults was one of the guards to Henry courthouse in Jan. 1781.

Copy of Church Register by Julius T. Beckler, pastor of the Moravian Society of Bethania, Stokes Co., NC, 4 Jan. 1839 – Names and ages of children of Casper Stults and wife Anna Margaret which were christened in the Moravian Church according to church records in Village of Bethania, Stokes Co., NC:

John Henry b. 11 July 1782
Margaret b. 14 Feb. 1784
Joanna Gertrude b. 11 Oct. 1785
Solomon ` b. 27 Dec. 1787
Mary Eliza b. 12 Feb. 1790
Benjamin b. 20 Oct. 1792
Mary b. 20 June 1795
Thomas b. 23 Oct. 1797
Samuel b. 8 June 1800
Susanna b. 13 Apr. 1803

Aff. of Joseph Houser – Stokes Co., NC, 8 Jan. 1839 – Casper Stults went as one of the guards of forage wagons, one of which Joseph Houser drove from the old Moravian Town in the fall of 1780 down into a Tory settlement called the Douthal and Markland neighborhood near the Yadkin River and mouth of Muddy Creek. There we loaded five or six wagons with corn in a field and returned to the old Town for the use of the army with the prisoners stationed at the town. The prisoners had been taken at Kings Mountain. We were gone two day and Stults also guarded the prisoners. Afterwards Casper Stults furnished two work horses in January 1781, put in a wagon that Joseph Houser drove with Army lead and powder for the use of the Army from Salem (then in Surry, now Stokes) to Henry courthouse in Virginia. Stults went as one of the guards commanded by a Lieutenant Jones twenty four days to Bethania. He returned with Joseph Houser.

Affidavit in Henry Smith file. Stults served under Capt. Henry Smith in expedition against Scotch Tories to Fayetteville, NC, and expedition against the Cherokee Nation in 1776. Stults was blind and residing in Stokes Co., NC, in 1833.

Return to Rev. War Applicants Index